It was my mum’s birthday the other day & I was tasked with making her a cake.
My go to cake recipe is my mum’s chocolate cake but I wanted to make her something different.
I racked my brain for an interesting & delicious cake recipe & remembered Lorraine Pascale’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Zebra” cake.
I decided I would make this but as the recipe doesn’t call for icing (& a birthday cake really should have icing!) I needed to come up with an idea.
The cake itself has orange peal in the chocolate mixture so I decided I would make my mum’s famous chocolate fudge icing but add the juice of an orange.
I was really pleased with the outcome & will definitely make it again.
Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the cake as I only thought about blogging it after we had eaten it!!
The recipe for both the cake & the icing is below in case you fancy giving it a go:
Ingredients fo the cake:
250ml Sunflower Oil (I used vegetable oil as I didn’t have sunflower)
250g Caster Sugar
100ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
4 medium Eggs
A few drops of Vanilla Extract
300g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
25g Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C & grease the baking tin.
- Put the oil, sugar, milk eggs & vanilla extract in a large bowl & beat well by hand.
- Pour out 400ml of the mixture into a separate bowl.
- Sift 175g of the self-raising flour & 1/2 tsp of baking powder into one bowl. Mix well. This is the vanilla mix.
- Sift the remaining self-raising flour, baking powder & the cocoa powder into the other bowl. Finely grate the orange zest in & mix well. This is the chocolate mix.
- Put a tablespoon of the vanilla mix in the middle of the baking tin. Then using a clean tablespoon pop some of the chocolate mix in the middle of the vanilla blob. Continue doing this to create a “bull’s eye” effect.
- Bake for 35 minutes. (For some reason my cake seemed to rise a lot more than expected & so I needed to bake it for approx 45/50mins to make sure it was cooked through. It is best to check using a sharp knife through the middle of the cake. If the knife comes out clean you know the cake is fine to take out).
Ingredients for the icing:
5oz Softened Butter
10oz Icing Sugar
1-2 tbsp Milk
The juice of an Orange
- Beat the butter until soft.
- Add 1/2 of the icing sugar & beat until smooth.
- Add remaining icing sugar & 1tbsp of milk & beat until smooth.
- Add the orange juice 1/2 at a time & stir in making sure it is mixed well & remains the correct consistency. If required add a little more icing sugar.
- Cut the cake in 1/2 once it is cooled. Add 1/2 the icing mix & spread out, pop the top 1/2 of the cake back on & add the remaining icing spreading it out.